SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript"> < We Blog: Comment on reading

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Comment on reading

Thursday's assignment was to post a response to something from the day's readings. As I was looking over the material, much of it seemed like familiar ground we had already covered in class. However, one line from the reading "What we're doing when we blog," stuck out to me. The author writes, "...a blog post is often an opening to a discussion, rather than a full-fledged argument already arrived at. " I began to think about this idea. It is the very essence of this topic of commenting and conversation. I really think that the blog's commenting capability is one of the best things about it. They provide an avenue for users to post information, thoughts and feelings and to receive sometimes instant feedback. I thought about this in relation to term papers or essays students often submit for classes. You put so much time, effort and consideration into formulating ideas or theories, and oftentimes the most response you get back in return is a simple question or comment scrawled in the margin. Far from an open discussion. Blogs have changed that. They challenge both the writer and the reader and brings the idea of 'critical thinking' to a new level. I think that is tremendously beneficial to everyone involved, and a great step toward creating an atmosphere of interactive learning rather than keeping education a one-way street.

2 Comments:

At Tue Jan 31, 01:37:00 PM, Blogger Megan said...

Comments are a very important, and sometimes overlooked aspect of the blogging experience. I know that I have a list of blogs I frequent, but I don't always take the time to scroll through the comments other people have made. I tend to lurk on blogs (a problem I'm trying to fix by making myself comment) and I've noticed lots of others do the same. Out of 50 people that visit my site on a given day, I may, if I'm lucky get one comment.

Recently for one of our assignments I pulled a section out of my favorite blog (The Ward-o-Matic) and wrote up my thoughts about it (you can read that post on my blog Chronicle of a Book Foretold). Since posting about it, I have gotten one really good comment from one of our classmates (Look To the Sky) and another just today, from Ward himself.

The point is that since posting my original thoughts on the issue, my feelings have changed and crystallized around the feedback I've gotten. The post, just like the piece of art I was talking about, has taken on a new life through the collaborative capabilities of the medium of a blog.

 
At Tue Jan 31, 09:52:00 PM, Blogger Donna said...

Yes! Beautiful illustration of the generative power of linking and commenting: it's all about the network.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home