SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript"> < We Blog: My Blogging Assumptions

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

My Blogging Assumptions

As I begin to establish and think about what my blog will look like, I find that my ideas change everyday. Before my first readings in this class, my assumptions were that blogs essentially fell into two categories. The first of those categories was legitimate blogs that were often linked to major newspapers websites -- the Washington Post seems to be particularly good at this.

The second category, in my estimation, was comprised of the ramblings of people who had much more time than myself. I think this still holds somewhat true. However, my opinion has changed in that I have found several very interesting blogs with no affiliation.

The difficulty of blogs are that they are spawned by and on the Internet, which still has no established filter to help a user wade through the overwhelming amount of information in order to find a place in cyberspace that might catch ones interest. So far I have been able to find several blogs that I am interested in and this is helping me to develop the framework of what I would like to have in my blog.

While my experience with blogs was limited before last Tuesday, I did have some experience with Internet message boards. I have decided that in many respects they are very similar. Finding a good message board is hard to do, due to the overwhelming numbers available on the Web. Once in a while you can find a good board or blog that really comes together as a community. They are brought together by some common trait or idea, and they will fight bitterly over that common bond. However, at the same time, they are also supportive. A good example of this that I have found over the past few years is The Smirkin Chicken. This is a fan board of the Atlanta Thrashers of the NHL. Blogs are far more formated, as the ideas usually come from one person and commented on by the community, instead of the free for all that may occur on message boards.

My ideas on blogs have changed since the beginning, as I no longer think a blogs legitimacy is based on its content or traditional media backing. In fact, its just a place on the Web for a community and the free flow of information. Hopefully my blog will resemble that as well.

[cross-posted from My First Attempt]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home