SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript"> < We Blog: Inspiring Illustrations of Individual Ideas

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Inspiring Illustrations of Individual Ideas

When I first started reading blogs it was just the blogs of people I know, so I totally understand how hard it is to find good, personal blogs of people you've never met. But once you get the hang of it, you'll find that you have too many blogs to get through everyday. Picking three entries that I particulary like was not an easy task, so keep in mind that I have about 8 billion posts that I've filed away in the back of my brain, even some that have truly influenced how I look at the world.

I personally get bored reading blogs that comment on the news or raise controversial issues. It's not that I'm not interested in the issues, it's just that I usually have a pretty well-defined idea of how I feel. The posts that have really spoken to me are usually of a personal nature, ones that get to the heart of what it means to be alive, and in particular what it means to be a creative observer of this great big world. Maybe you'll be interested, maybe you won't, but here goes...

Christina Rosalie @ My Topography

This is a blog that I just found recently through some links on other blogs I've been reading for a long time. I was immediately hooked because this blog seems to be the supreme example of the type of blog I like to read. This post is from very early this morning and it seems to summarize exactly what the site is about. In this particular post, Christina follows seemingly unrelated events over the span of a few days and processes them to draw a conclusion about herself, "She is an artist." I think this post exemplifies the personal potential of a blog. Things happen to us all the time, but we don't always stop to think about the course of our lives. Blogging, putting it out there for others to read, forces us to examine the things that happen to us, or the things we choose to do and suddenly we see an aspect of ourselves that maybe we didn't recognize before. I have often found that when I blog, I'll start with an idea and then end up somewhere completely surprising. It's a good way to internalize the chaos and come out refreashed.

Andrea Jenkins @ Hula Seventy

This is a site that I have been reading for a long time now, in particular because I like Andrea's approach to the messiness of her life. Sometimes you do just have to take a step back and complain, or laugh, or try desperately to find the positive. Sometimes it's so easy to overlook those little moments every day that remind you to keep on doing what you're doing. Andrea has perfected the ability to find the silver lining and I read her blog because it reminds me to do that myself.

In this particular post she has answered the call of the meme "4 Things." For those of you who don't know, a meme is kind of like a blogging chain letter (it's also referred to as tagging). They start on inderterminate blogs and get passed around until they start looping back on themselves. Basically everyone who ends up in the chain makes a post (usually in list format) relating to a particular topic, or aspect of themselves. This one is pretty self explanatory, you just have to make a bunch of little lists about your 4 favorite whatevers. At the end of the post, Andrea has essentially tagged everyone who may read her site, so consider this your invitation to meme on your own blog.

Carla @ Anonyrrie

So, if you haven't guessed by now, I'm way into Illustration Blogs, and this one is probably my favorite. I particularly like Carla's illustrations because she always posts a longer thought about her subject. In this post she has annotated her beautiful illustration with an ee Cummings poem. As you can see at the top of the post, this is a submission for Illustration Friday, which is an amazing community site with a revolving topic. Every Friday a new topic is posted and from then until the next Friday artists from everywhere post their illustrations interpreting this topic. It's gotten quite popular lately with almost 700 submissions on any given week, but it's still a great way to make connections, particularly if you are interested in art and drawing.

Anyway, back to this exemplary post. I look forward to Carla's submissions because she always presents a unique perspective on the week's topic and can always be counted on for a positive outlook. I think her combination of art and literature has inspired me to look for creative inspiration in the books I read and literary inspiration in the art I see.

Megan @ Chronicle of a Book Retold

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home