SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript"> < We Blog: Please read and respond

Saturday, February 11, 2006

Please read and respond

Hey, I wrote this last spring and wondered if people could respond to it. I know this is a lame way to post, but I've wanted people to read this for a long time. The only people who have read it are people that think what I write is great anyway, no matter what it says. So here it is. Can you please give me your first responses? Thanks

March 2005


To the Way that I see it


This evening probably has to go down as one of the best nights of my hopefully long life. See, UNC won their first final four game in their last five tries and I got to attend an amazing concert with my lovely girlfriend.
Now, UNC winning and making the national championship game is a very big deal, but that’s not the issue that I’d like to discuss tonight. (Actually, very early this morning)
No, this issue at hand is something that inspired me to write this memorandum in the first place. This letter won’t be dedicated to the performers who put on a great show, or the crowd who was so energetic throughout the almost four hour concert, but to one little girl who owned this night in my eyes.
For once this was not my own girlfriend, but a handicapped girl that sat just a few rows behind my friends and I. Probably only visible to the one friend that she looked as if she had brought to the concert. The amazing thing about this situation is that this girl continued to infatuate me this evening. She wasn’t popular, or pretty, or maybe even smart, but in my eyes this night belonged to her because she took center-stage in her own world while everyone else was living in someone else’s. This girl knew all the words like many of the other fans there. And she was more than happy enough to share those entertainer’s words with everyone within earshot. But what stood out to me was the way that she paid no attention to the people that didn’t concern her. The people who have naturally come down upon her and told her that she wasn’t good enough.
For one night this girl stepped out and showed that she had her own life and not one in which she lives to please other people. And I think the lesson here is that people will always have opinions. One can’t change that. But the people who make the most of their lives are those who can live their lives without consent, regret, and repentance for those who must “fit in”. For it is truly the mark of a great person that doesn’t acknowledge that others are standing in the way of their greatness. And as a performer was standing on stage hundreds of feet away it took the singing of one little girl to show me that what’s important isn’t what the whole crowd is staring at, but the smallest little details that make up my life and the wonderful moments that they encapsule.
For one night I paid to see someone entertain me, and the one person that did wasn’t within 200 feet of the stage.
One little girl who had probably been neglected by society if not by her own family took the stage for a performance tonight that amazed at least one person. And she didn’t care who saw it.
The smallest details are our lives, and the attention to detail is what makes us who we are.


JL

1 Comments:

At Sun Feb 12, 12:51:00 PM, Blogger Megan said...

I think what's more amazing than this girl's presence is the way that you were able to avoid just passing your eyes over here and notice something that truly touched you.

I don't think that was a lame post at all. I think blogs can transcend the journal tone when we share those moments in our lives that really change us. Events are events unless we take the time to learn from them.

I have, for a long time, been fascinated by ordinary days that end up being not so ordinary, simply because we look at things slightly differently for the space of a few hours. Thanks for sharing this story.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home