SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript"> < We Blog: Sampling the Blogosphere...

Thursday, February 09, 2006

Sampling the Blogosphere...

This week in my blogging class, our assigment was to identify and post about three exemplary blog entries from the various blogs we read. That means that all this week I have been scrolling through the various links my classmates have thrown up as their favorites. When I posted my entry, I thought that it was going to be different than everyone else's because we mainly talk about political blogs or watchdog blogs in class. I, on the other hand, really prefer the more personal (but not necessarily journal blogs) and decided to pull my favorite entries from there.


Turns out that a lot of the other people in my class have also found blogs that speak to them contextually or tonally and not necessarily blogs that are out to make a huge social impact. Among the choices of my classmates were celebrity gossip blogs, random people's funny chronicle of their lives, blogs of people they know, a few political or issue blogs, and even a Gumby blog.


It seems the rest of the class has come to the same conclusion that I have. While it may be interesting to scan through random people's blogs when a hot issue arises (see the most recent example of the muslim cartoons) just to get a feel for how other people think, frequent readability is determined by a much more personal reaction to a person's style. I'm fully aware that the blogs I find interesting probably won't appeal to anyone else in this room. After all, after scanning through everyone else's choices I can't say any one blog made a particular impression on me (at least not enough to grace it with an almighty bookmark), but, Hey, to each their own.


Seems to me the choice of what blogs to read is kind of like choosing what people to talk to at a party. You seek out the people who seem like they're most like you, or the people with the common interests and make a connection.

Megan @ Chronicle of a Book Retold [crossposted]

3 Comments:

At Thu Feb 09, 02:58:00 PM, Blogger Donna said...

And, just to add some of the things we talked about in class:

(1) individual voice
(2) humor
(3) breaking rules as a way to contribute to voice
(4) writing what you know, but in a way that makes it accessible to wider audience
(5) if writing about political or controversial topics, doing so with balance or flair
(6) leaving readers with something to think, do, etc.

And from Tuesday:
--linking (ideas, to other sites, etc)

--opening up new ideas, possibilities

--sometimes doing the unexpected: subverting conventions

Have I forgotten or misreprented anything?

 
At Thu Feb 09, 02:59:00 PM, Blogger Donna said...

Ah, yes. I forgot this one: visually striking. This blog needs some work in that area. That's why I forgot.

 
At Thu Feb 09, 06:03:00 PM, Blogger Steve said...

Wow, I dig your analogy that looking for blogs is like looking for a person to talk to at a party. And when you look at Donna's list of things you look for in a blog, it TOTALLY works for people at parties, (Individual voice, humor, breaking rules, talking about what you know, and visually striking) Good one, Megan.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home