SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript"> < We Blog: What I think about good blogging

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

What I think about good blogging

Blogs can do so many things that it is hard to say what good blogging is and what it does. At least it's hard for me. I don't know if blogging for the purpose of journalistic reporting is something that should be done, or if on the other end of the spectrum someone should only keep a blog for the purpose of using it as on online journal. I think that the definition of good blogging, like most things on the web is a fluid definition that goes through sways of public opinion.

Having said that, I would like to offer what is in my head about good blogging. Blogging that is worth reading to me has to do a few things. 1. it has to be revelant to something I like or have and urge to read about (simple enough, but no one ever offers this as something they like, and I think it needs to be said) 2. It has to be coherent. I hate it when I have to read something three or four times because I can't get the meaning in one close read. 3. It has to pose some sort of question. I like to read something that makes me think about an issue or at least spurs some neurons of mine to fire and get some activity going. I'm not saying it should offer some cure to cancer, but at least stimulate some good discussion. Something can be thought-provoking without being philosophical. It can be spurring by presenting an argument on a touchy subject, or looking at the same thing through a new perspective. And finally, I think (against the thoughts of our professor) that a blog should talk about every topic under the sun. I know people have emphasis on their blog, but no one thinks about only a handful of things during a week, month, hour. So why should our personal thoughts and perspectives be limited to only a few topics. Personally, I tend to think about writers the same way. I have more respect for a writer that expands upon his writing and covers many different topics to a writer that writes in only one or two literary genres.

So there it is...let the debate begin.

3 Comments:

At Wed Feb 08, 07:43:00 PM, Blogger Nicole said...

I like what you said about the fact that a good blog entry must raise a question, not in the explicit sense, but in the sense that it makes you internalize something and mull it over. I think that is the beauty of the internet -- it is an open book for limitless opinions and ideas of limitless diverse people. I want to read something that is intelligent, that is thought provoking, that makes me think about myself or my world. I don't want to feel my time was wasted. I want an experience. I want to feel changed or challenged. It's like Hannel said in her blog (a melange), I don't want to read someone's uneventful life story. That said, those silly little daily stories can really be thought about and examined, mined for something really revealing and thought provoking, if the authors would take the time. Either way, give me something that affects me, really affects (read slowly) me.

 
At Thu Feb 09, 02:30:00 PM, Blogger Donna said...

So...can you direct us to some exemplary posts that do these things?

 
At Thu Feb 09, 02:40:00 PM, Blogger KR said...

Right on, for listing coherence among the traits to admire in a blog. I've been in fiction classes for about 2 years, and now that I'm trying to write blog posts, I feel absolutely discombobulated. My writing on my blog is slightly crazy, with run-on sentences and crazy clauses thrown in here and there, saved only by commas.

See? Right there. That flies in a short story, but not on short-range writing. Gah, I need to edit myself more often. I have the feeling that the reason no one comments on my page is that they spend too much time trying to decipher the message.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home