SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript"> < We Blog

Thursday, March 09, 2006

I've been thinking a lot about what Professor Strickland was saying in class on Tuesday. She was talking about a blog as the sum total of the posts, a compendium. But a compendium of what?

For me, looking back over my blog after 130-ish posts represents my intellectual history over the last year and a half (give or take). I decided to name my main page An Ideal because that was the best representation of where the power of the blog resides. For me the blog is a place where I can record - and sometimes recieve feedback - what I've been thinking about. It's my very own Thinking Out Loud. As much pleasure and benefit I may recieve from siphoning off my thoughts to this amorphous thing, a blog, it is equally as interesting to look back over the things I've written, the trains of thought I've carried (or dropped), the oscillations between waxing and waning interest on any given topic.

My blog is a dialogue I'm having with myself. The comments I recieve get filtered through and inevitably change the trajectory of my brain for the future. The reason for publishing this (a journal could accomplish the same) is interactivity. Not only do I benefit from immediate feedback, but it's there for others to read. Regardless of whether a reader agrees, disagrees, or even cares, they've interacted with what they've read, they've interacted with this alternative presentation of me and my thoughts and ideas have become part of their trajectory. The interactivity goes beyond being instantaneous or being able to compact large quantities of information. Through blogs one neurosis interacts with another in a reciprocal relationship.

If you are written you are subject to revision and change.

Megan [Chronicle of A Book Retold]

2 Comments:

At Thu Mar 09, 03:30:00 PM, Blogger Donna said...

I love that final sentence. Nicely put.

 
At Thu Mar 09, 10:40:00 PM, Blogger amy said...

I think you make some great points there. Being a novice in this blogging business, I am finding that blogging helps me to remember, sort of plans things in my brain further than if there were still wandering around in my thoughts.
And I agree with the above comment- I think that final sentence is great.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home