SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript"> < We Blog: Finding a Place

Sunday, April 23, 2006

Finding a Place


I came across an article today that forced me to reflect on what I have accomplished since my blog began exactly 90 days ago. I have been struggling with my blog, constantly displeased with what I have to say and more so with what I don't. The goal of my blogging efforts was to put something out into the world that would touch someone. I was unconcerned with the definition of "touch". Was it to entertain? Was it to enlighten? Was it to critique? Was it to create?

My first posts (1, 2, 3) started out poetic, but it proved to be too much to keep up with. It was too much pressure to feel forced to be awe-inspiringly eloquent. I collapsed. My posts, most often, became whatever I was thinking in whatever form I could get it out. Maybe my goal was too ill-defined.

The article I read today got me thinking even more. It is by Associated Press writer Miriam Fam and is titled Iraqi Bloggers Weigh in on Changing Nation. It reads:

Unheard of in Saddam Hussein´s Iraq, blogging is providing ordinary Iraqis with
a voice _ a chance to vent and reflect on the changes reshaping their country.

For the outside world, the generally anonymous Internet postings offer raw insider views and insights in which sorrow and joy, hope and despair, fear and defiance coexist as the violence of the insurgency and now sectarian divisions swirl around Iraqis

What a profound cause. What a quintessential example of the use and benefit of blogging.

What a perfect opportunity for my efforts to look even more insignificant.

One blogger in the article says:
"The West should listen to the opinions of the simple Iraqi people . . . This is
a good window into the world."

Does my blog have a window? Does it posses anythingthing that makes the lost reader that stumbles upon it want to stop and read and then keep coming back? I don't think it does. Oh God. Am I the dreaded "teen (type) blogger," giving nothing more than a dreaded account of my mundane daily experiences.

Well, I don't know that I would go that far. But, nonetheless, it worries me. I would like to keep blogging, but not if it is only one more substance-less voice in cyberspace. I fear that if I can't find something that interests me, something I feel is impactful to others, something I am proud to contribute, I will fail in my effort to continue blogging.

So, where do I go from here? How do I find my niche? It is almost as much an identity crisis as it is a blogging one.

Perhaps others have advice. How do those of us "average bloggers," those of us "hobby bloggers," who are unable to make blogging a full time job, who aren't experts in some field, or who don't feel they are experiencing something truly unique and intriguing, find our place in the blogging world? How do we keep from sinking into the hum of other voices, talking with nothing to say?

*Crossposted at Look to the Sky

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home